State of Louisiana
LICENSED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS BOARD OF EXAMINERS
8631 SUMMA AVENUE
BATON ROUGE, LA 70809
Phone: 225-765-2515 — Fax: 225-765-2514
APPROVED SUPERVISORS FOR MFT INTERNS
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
The Advisory Committee approves supervision on a case-by-case basis. A list of LMFT Approved Supervisors and Supervisor Candidates is available through the Board office or at www.lpcboard.org
Either an LMFT Approved Supervisor or an LMFT Registered Supervisor Candidate under the supervision of an LMFT Approved Supervisor may supervise MFT Interns. There is no fee to become an LMFT Approved Supervisor or Supervisor Candidate.
An applicant for LMFT Approved Supervisor must have two years of experience as an LMFT in Louisiana or another state.
The supervisor must be an LMFT and must have had coursework in marriage and family therapy supervision as well as supervision of supervision by a qualified supervisor as determined by the Advisory Committee.
MFT Interns working toward dual licensure may count their supervision hours for licensure in the other discipline toward licensure as an LMFT if the LPC Board upon recommendation of the MFT Advisory Committee has approved their supervision.
LMFT Approved Supervisor
Designation as an AAMFT Approved Supervisor qualifies a person to become an LMFT Approved Supervisor. AAMFT Approved Supervisors do not automatically become LMFT Approved Supervisors. They must apply for this designation.
The requirements for becoming an LMFT Approved Supervisor are:
1. A one-semester graduate course in MFT supervision from a regionally accredited institution or an equivalent course of study approved by the Advisory Committee consisting of a 15-hour didactic component and a 15-hour interactive component. The interactive component must include a minimum of four persons. Approved MFT supervision courses and workshops currently are available in the state. AAMFT also offers the course of study at each annual conference and during its institutes.
2. At least two years experience as an LMFT in Louisiana or another state.
3. Supervision of supervision must be taken from an LMFT Approved Supervisor.
LMFT Registered Supervisor Candidate
Registration as an AAMFT Approved Supervisor Candidate qualifies a person to become an LMFT Approved Supervisor Candidate. AAMFT Approved Supervisor Candidates do not automatically become LMFT Approved Supervisor Candidates. They must apply for this designation.
The requirements for becoming an LMFT Approved Supervisor Candidate are
1. At least two years experience as an LMFT in Louisiana or another state.
2. The same coursework requirement as for LMFT-Approved Supervisors.
3. Applicants must submit the name of their proposed supervisor for the required 36 hours of supervision of supervision and the approximate dates that their supervision will begin and end.
This is only a summary of the rules. Section 3315 of the LPC Board of Examiners Rules provides more detailed information on Supervision Requirements including definitions for supervision, supervision requirements for licensure, and qualifications of an LMFT Approved Supervisor and LMFT Approved Supervisor Candidate. Please visit the LPC Board Website for more information at http://www.lpcboard.org/46v60.html
For an Application to become an LMFT Approved Supervisor or LMFT Registered Supervisor Candidate, please visit http://www.lpcboard.org/LMFT_Instruction_Forms_App.htm